Chef Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on Channel 7 News, WXYZ Detroit, on September 10, 2016 providing tips for cooking French Macaroni and Cheese. See recipe below for one of the most popular family favorites.
Sausage Chile & Cornbread Pot Pie
¼ C extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion medium chopped
¾ Lb lean chopped beef
¾ Lb sausage removed from skin
1 16 oz can Pinto, Kidney & Navy beans (drained)
1 TBL kosher or sea salt
¼ TSP each dried mustard, chili, cumin & paprika
1/8 TSP granulated garlic & cinnamon
Coarse ground black pepper to taste
2 C ground tomatoes or plain sauce
½ C apple juice
1 C chicken stock + ½ C lemon juice
Halved, deseeded & cleaned out hard squash
Sour cream and chopped scallions as a garnish
For the Cornbread topping:
1/2C sifted all purpose flour
2TSP baking powder + ¾ TSP salt
1 ½ yellow cornmeal
1 Lg egg combined with 1C milk
1. In the heavy sauté pan heat the olive oil until it sizzles. Add the ground beef and cook until it is cooked all the way through. Remove and strain into a mixing bowl. Repeat with the sausage, making sure its cooked well. Remove, strain and add to the meat.
2. Pour off most of the fat left in the pan — over medium heat saute the onions until they are nice and golden but not soft.
3. In the crock pot, slow cooker or Dutch oven combine all the above items. Add the apple juice, tomatoes, chicken stock, spices and seasonings. Make sure to correct to taste as you go as not to over season.
4. Bring the chili to a gentle boil then simmer for about 1-2 hours to combine the flavors. Chill well. Place the cooked chili into a seasoned squash half or chili pot. Top with some of Cheddar cheese. Using a scoop place 2 or 3 scoops of cornbread mixture on top. Drizzle melted butter and a bit more cheese and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 10 -15 minutes or until bubbling and the cornbread is golden brown and done.
5. Serve with chopped scallions and sour cream.