Check out Chef Elwin Greenwald on Channel 7 WXYZ News providing a live demo in how to make miniature cream puffs with custard filling.
Miniature Cream Puffs with Custard Filling Recipe:
2 C milk
8 oz butter
1 TSP pure vanilla
½ C sugar
8 Large eggs
1 ¾ C flour
Heavy sauce pot
Prepared baking pan or jellyroll pan
Electric mixer fitted with the paddle
Assorted portion scoops
Assorted measuring cups and spoons
Wire cooling rack
- In the sauce pot place the milk, vanilla, butter and sugar then bring to a gentle boil.
- All at once add the flour and stir with the wooden spoon until all lumps have been removed. Continue cooking over medium heat until the dough is smooth and the spoon stands by itself.
- Transfer the mixture to the mixer bowl and beat on medium speed for about 3 – 4 minutes until cooled a bit.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating very well after each addition. Blend well for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Using a portion scoop the batter onto the prepared baking or jellyroll pan.
Place in a preheated 375 oven until puffed and golden, about 15 – 20 minutes. Gently remove and place on the cooling rack until ready to fill. When cooled split ¾ of the way through with a serrated knife.
3TBL corn starch
1 C sugar + pinch of salt
¼ C each lemon & orange juice
zest of 1 lemon & orange juice
½ C half & half
3 egg yolks lightly beaten
¼ C confectioners sugar
Wooden spoon or spatula
Heavy bottom sauce pan
Pastry bag with round open tube
- Combine all ingredients except the eggs in the heavy bottom sauce pan.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and becomes custard-like.
- Add the egg yolks and wisk for 2 minutes longer being careful not to let the custard burn.
- Remove from heat and wisk vigorously. Place in a ceramic bowl and chill until ready for use.
- Place custard in the pastry bag and gently fill the cream puffs. Dust with confectioners sugar and serve with fresh berries and a sprig of fresh mint.