Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on December 7, 2014, on Fox 2 News, My Fox Detroit, providing a live demo in how to prepare Holiday Apple Fritters with Carmel Sauce.
Holiday Apple Fritters with Caramel Sauce
8 Gala or Pink Lady apples, cored, peeled & grated
¼ C each, white & dark raisins, candied orange, lemon,
citron, pineapple, red & green cherries
¼ C chopped pecans
¼ C chocolate chips
¼ C whole milk
2 TBL all purpose flour + pinch of powdered ginger
¼ TSP baking powder
½ TSP pure vanilla
¼ C granulated sugar
¾ C vegetable oil
¼ lb unsalted butter + ½ C brown sugar
1 C heavy cream
Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
Assorted ceramic bowls
Brown paper or paper towel
Small heavy sauce pot
Assorted scoops or tablespoon
1) In a mixing bowl combine the grated apples, candied fruit, raisins, chocolate chips,
pecans, flour/ginger, salt, baking powder and sugar.
2) Whisk the eggs, vanilla and milk together. Add it to the fruit and nut mixture –
combine well but don’t over mix.
3) Fill the heavy sauté pan with about ¼ -1/2 C of oil and heat over medium high heat.
4) Using a tablespoon or a portion scoop, drop batter into the hot oil.
5) Fry each fritter about 2-3 minutes or until golden on each side.
6) Gently transfer each fritter onto the brown paper or a towel to drain. To serve, place
fritters on a decorative platter. Dust with confectioner’s sugar or serve with warm
To prepare the Caramel Sauce
7) Combine the brown sugar and butter in the heavy sauce pan and cook slowly,
stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is no longer grainy but
smooth and shiny, about 2 -3 minutes.
8) Carefully add the heavy cream and whisk until a creamy smooth sauce is achieved,
about 3 – 4 minutes.