Chef Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on September 6, 2015, on Channel 7 News, WXYZ Detroit, providing a live demo in how to prepare Gougere Pizza Recipe.
Gougere Pizza Recipe Serves 8-10 people
- 2 C water or milk
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 TSP each dried parsley and dill
- Kosher Salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- Heavy soup pot
- Wire whisk
- Rubber spatula
- Wooden spoon
- Assorted size portion cups
- Jelly roll pans or cookie sheets
- Electric mixer fitted with paddle
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Small bowl filled with cold water
- Wire cooling rack
Assorted toppings & fillings
- Sauteed fresh yellow squash, zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms and onions
- Roast diced potatoes
- Chopped spinach
- Feta Cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Pizza or pasta sauce
- Crisp cooked bacon
- Grilled sausage
- Blanched asparagus
- Shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 – 3 C loose scrambled eggs
- In the heavy soup pot, bring the milk or water, butter and salt and pepper to a gentle boil. Be careful not to let the milk burn!
- Very carefully pour the milk or water/butter mixture in the mixer bowl and all at once add the flour. Mix well using the paddle. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth and has cooled off a bit.
- Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Add both cheeses and blend sell.
- Dip the portion scoop of your choice in the cold water, shake off excess water and begin scooping the Gougere dough onto the prepared jelly roll pans or cookie sheets. Leave about 2 – 3 inches between each one so they have room to puff up. Once again dip the scoop in the water, shake off excess and using the back of the scoop press each one down forming a indentation in the middle. Repeat process until about half the dough is used. With the remaining dough scoop smaller Gougere’s but don’t press them down.
- Bake the Gougere’s in a preheated 400 degree oven until puffed and golden, about 10 -15 minutes. Carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- Using your imagination create pizzas with the flat Gougere crusts by spreading each one with some pizza sauce and any toppings you choose. Fill the Gougere puffs with scrambled eggs, potatoes, cheese, sautéed veggies and/or spinach to create a delicious breakfast sandwich.
- Gougere crusts freeze very well and can be topped or filled quickly, warmed in the toaster oven or microwave.