Check out Chef Elwin Greenwald on Fox 2 News morning show giving a live demonstration in how to make his delicious Cranberry Apple Cobbler with Candied Ginger.
Cranberry Apple Cobbler with Candied Ginger Recipe
Serves about 8 – 10
4 C assorted apples peeled & diced
1 TSP each lemon & orange zest
1 TSP pure vanilla extract
1/3 C corn starch
1/2 C dried cranberries
1/4 C chopped candied ginger
1-1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 TSP cinnamon
1/4 TSP each cloves, nutmeg & allspice
1 1/2 TBL baking powder
1 TSP salt
1/3 C diced cold butter
2 eggs beaten w/ 3/4 C milk
1/4 C each coarse & brown sugar
8 TBL diced cold butter
Equipment: decorative baking dish mixing bowls measuring cups & spoons zester/grater wooden spoon or spatula french knife & paring knife portion scoop or tablespoon
1. In the mixing bowl combine apples, spices, cranberries, ginger, 1 C sugar, vanilla, corn starch and both types of zest.
2. Gently place the apple mixture into a prepared baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350degree oven for about 1/2 hour or until the liquid has thickened.
3. While the apples are baking mix the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 C sugar and 1/3 C cold diced butter together with your fingertips until dough resembles coarse meal. Donʼt over mix – this will cause the crust to become tough!
4. Remove the dish of apple mixture from the oven when thickened and let rest for 1 or 2 minutes.
5. Using a tablespoon or small scoop cover the top with the dough. Sprinkle with both the brown and coarse sugar. Dot the top with the remaining 8 TBL butter.
6. Raise the over to 375 and bake for another 15 minutes or until the top is golden.
7. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream or ice cream