Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on October 16, 2014, on Channel 7, WXYZ Detroit News, providing a live demo in how to prepare the Fall inspired dish: Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Sage and Pancetta.
Pumpkin Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Sage & Pancetta
1 10 oz can cooked unsweetened pumpkin Assorted mixing bowls
1 C Ricotta cheese, drained Assorted portion scoops or tablespoon
1 pkg large size pasta shells cooked, drained & cooled Rubber spatula
1 bunch fresh sage leaves Ovenproof baking dish (buttered)
1 small package Amaretto cookies, crumbled Chef’s knife
½ lb fresh pancetta diced Cutting board
1 small onion finely diced Ladle
1 pint heavy cream Wooden spoon
Kosher salt & black pepper to taste Kitchen towel
½ C unflavored breadcrumbs Saute’ pan
¾ C freshly grated Parmesan Cheese Tongs or slotted spoon
1) In the sauté pan brown the diced pancetta over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until golden brown. Drain pancetta on a kitchen towel. Meanwhile add the heavy cream to the pan and over medium heat reduce by half. (about 2 – 3 minutes.) stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Leave in the pan to cool slightly.
2) Combine the pumpkin, ricotta cheese, 3 or 4 Amaretto cookies crumbled, half of the pancetta, salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl. The pumpkin mixture should be firm enough to scoop or spoon into the shells. If the pumpkin filling seems to loose add 1-2 teaspoons of the bread crumbs.
3) Ladle some of the heavy cream on the bottom of the ovenproof dish. Using a portion scoop or tablespoon fill each pasta shell and gently place in the buttered ovenproof dish.
4) Ladle the remaining heavy cream over the shells, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and
Pancetta. Place in a preheated 325 degree oven and bake until heated through and filling is bubbling, about ½ – ¾ hour.
5) With tongs or a slotted spoon, carefully place the shells on a serving plate, sprinkle with the remaining pancetta, crumbled cookie crumbs and the sage leaves.