Check out Chef Elwin Greenwald on Channel 7 News morning show giving a live demonstration in how to make his delicious Roast Apple and Squash Soup.
Roast Apple and Squash Soup Recipe
8 – 10 medium apples, peeled, cored & diced
2 lg butternut squash peeled, cleaned & cubed
6 ribs celery hearts, diced & divided
1 large onion, diced & divided
4 carrots, diced & divided
1/4C olive/canola oil blend
8 C vegetable or chicken stock
2 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 C dark sherry or marsala
2 C apple cider kosher or sea salt & black pepper to taste
1 C heavy whipping cream
2 TSP chopped fresh sage
1/2 C candied pecans
2 heavy soup pots 2 jelly roll pans paring knife & French knife wire whisk rubber spatula food processing wand 2 ladles & 2 gravy boats 8 – 10 warm soup bowls
1. Place the diced apples and half of the onions, celery and carrots on one jelly roll pan, rub with half of the oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Repeat this process using the cubed squash and the remaining onions, celery and carrots.
2. Place each tray in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 3. Transfer the contents of each tray to the two different soup pots.
4. In the soup pot containing the apples add 1/8 cup marsala or sherry, 4 cups of stock and 1 cup of apple cider. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer about 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
5. Repeat this process with the squash, adding the brown sugar as well.
6. Using the food processing wand blend each soup until smooth. Add half of the heavy cream to each soup pot and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
7. Carefully ladle each soup into the gravy boats and pour simultaneously into the warmed soup bowls.
8. Top the soup with candied pecans and fresh sage