Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on December 20, 2014, on Channel 7 News, WXYZ Detroit, providing a live demo in how to prepare Potato Gnocchi with Pesto.
Potato Gnocchi with Pesto
Serves about 6 – 8 people
2 Lbs Idaho potatoes (baking potatoes) Baking tray or cookie sheet
Kosher salt & black pepper Potato ricer or box grater
Pinch of nutmeg Large stock pot
6 egg yolks Dinner fork
1 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese Cooling rack
1 – 1 ½ C all purpose flour Slotted spoon or strainer
¼ Lb unsalted butter Large scoop or metal spoon
½ C homemade or prepared Pesto Sauce Assorted mixing bowls
Fresh basil leaves for garnish Heavy sauté pan
• • •
1) Wash the potatoes and place on the baking tray, coat with about half of the kosher salt and bake in a preheated 425 oven for about 1 hour or until flesh if soft.
2) Let the potatoes cool slightly, carefully scoop out the flesh and place in a mixing bowl. Reserve the skins for another use if desired.
3) Run the warm potatoes through the ricer or grate on the fine side of the grater into another bowl.
4) Add half the flour, half the egg yolks, half the cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Mix until just combined. A stiff but not dry dough is required so adjust with more flour or yolk as necessary. Do not to over mix or the Gnocchi will be tough.
5) Bring the water to a rolling boil, add a pinch of salt and simmer while preparing the
6) Working with floured fingers pinch off bits of dough about the size of a quarter, roll into small balls then roll and “flick” each piece against the back of the fork into the gently boiling water.
7) When the Gnocchi are done they will float to the top of the water. Using the slotted spoon remove from the pot and drain on a cooling rack. Continue until all the dough has been used.
8) When ready to serve, heat 2 – 3 tablespoons of butter in the heavy sauté pan. Add the Gnocchi in one layer then brown over medium heat. Transfer to a decorative bowl or platter, toss with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the Pesto.
9) Serve Gnocchi topped with more cheese and basil leaves.