Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on April 24, 2015, on Channel 7 News, WXYZ Detroit, providing a live demo in how to prepare Ratatouille with Garlic Polenta.
Ratatouille (French Vegetable Stew) with Garlic Polenta Serves 8-10 people
- 4 each red, yellow & green peppers, seeded cut into ¼’ slices
- 4 medium zucchini, 1” dice
- 1 medium eggplant peeled 1” dice
- 3 large yellow onion, 1” dice
- ¾ C high quality olive oil (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and sliced thin
- 1 TSP dried oregano, parsley, thyme
- ¼ C TBL Kosher or sea salt (divided)
- 2 Bay leaf
- ½ TSP coarse black pepper
- 4 – 6 medium tomatoes peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 Small bunch of fresh basil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- ½ C dry white wine
- Large sauté pan/Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- Heavy soup pot
- Saute pan
- Chef’s knife/Vegetable peeler
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Oval serving dish
- Paper towel
- Toss the eggplant with some of the salt and drain in the colander for about ½ hour. Press out the water and brush off salt with the towel. Reserve.
- Heat 2 TBL of the olive oil in the heavy sauté pan or Dutch oven. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic and 1 bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Pour into the mixing bowl.
- Wipe out the pan with some paper towel. Add 3-4 TBL olive oil. Over medium heat cook the eggplant about 5 minutes or until just golden. Place in the mixing bowl with the tomato sauce.
- Once again wipe out the sauté pan, add 3-4 TBL of the olive oil. Over medium heat cook the peppers about 5 minutes or until they begin to soften but are not cooked all the way through. Once again, add the peppers to tomato sauce. Repeat this process using the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini on the bottom of the oval serving dish or Dutch oven. Toss the cooked vegetables and tomato sauce with the parsley, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, Cover the zucchini with the all vegetables and the juice from the bowl. Add the wine, remaining bay leaf and cook uncovered for about 1 hour. Alternatively cover and cook in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes.
- Before serving remove the bay leaves, sprinkle with chopped basil, lemon juice and zest. 7 Serve with Garlic Polenta.
TO PREPARE THE POLENTA:
Bring 3 cups of water or vegetable stock to a boil. Blend 1 C of yellow cornmeal with 1 cup of cold water/stock and slowly pour into the boiling water/stock stirring constantly using a wooden spoon until thick. Add 2 TBL butter, 3-4 TBL roast garlic and 1 cup corn kernels. Cover and continue cooking over very low heat for another 3-5 minutes.