Chef Elwin Greenwald, owner of Elwin and Co., was featured on September 12, 2015, on Fox 2News, Detroit, providing a live demo in how to prepare Apple Raisin Bread Pudding.
Apple Raisin Bread Pudding Recipe
Assorted mixing bowl
Assorted measuring cups & spoons
Heavy sauce pan
2 C granulated sugar
1 prepared muffin tin
6 large eggs, well beaten
2 C half & half
2 TSP pure vanilla extract
4 C cubed stale Brioche or Challah, crusts removed
½ C packed light brown sugar
2 Fuji or Gala apples, diced
pinch of kosher salt
½ C raisins or dried cranberries
1 TSP round cinnamon
For the Caramel Sauce
½ TSP ground ginger
Juice and zest of one orange
½ C coarse sugar
¼ LB unsalted butter diced
Confectioners sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 325.
2) In the large mixing bowl place the granulated sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt, half & half and the orange juice + zest. Mix well.
3) Add the dried bread cubes, apples, raisins and or the cranberries. Gently blend together.
4) Using the portion scoop fill each muffin cup with some of the bread/egg mixture, making sure there is enough liquid to fill each cup ¾ of the way. Sprinkle the top with the brown sugar, coarse sugar and dot with butter.
5) Place the muffin tin on the baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden brown. About 10 – 20 minutes.
6) Gently unmold each bread pudding onto a plate, garnish with fresh mint, drizzle with some of the Caramel Sauce and dust with confectioners sugar.
To prepare the Caramel Sauce
1) Combine ½ C brown sugar and ¼ LB butter in the heavy sauce pan and cook slowly, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is no longer grainy but smooth and shiny, about 2 -3 minutes.
2) Carefully add 1 cup heavy cream and whisk until a creamy smooth sauce is achieved, about 3 – 4 minutes.