Check out Chef Elwin Greenwald on Fox 2 News giving a live demonstration in how to make his Amazing Coffee Cakes.
Amazing Coffee Cakes Recipe
1 C sour cream
½ C buttermilk
1TSP baking soda
2 TSP baking powder
1 ½ all purpose flour
1 TSP salt
2 C granulated sugar
½ LB butter @ room temperature
3 Large eggs @ room temperature
½ TSP pure vanilla
½ C ground nuts of your choice
¼ TSP cinnamon
½ C each brown + granulated sugar
¼ C confectioners sugar
Assorted mixing bowls
Assorted measuring spoons
Assorted portion scoops
8 C fluted Bundt pan (sprayed)
Wire cooling rack
Cardboard circle or plate
Decorative cake stand
1) In a small mixing bowl combine the sour cream and the buttermilk.
2) In a larger mixing bowl combine all four dry ingredients.
3) Place the 2 C sugar and butter in the bowl of the electric mixer, using the paddle attachment cream together until light and lemon colored.
4) Add the eggs one at a time blending well after each addition. Add the vanilla and blend well.
5) Add the dry ingredient plus buttermilk and sour cream mixture alternatively starting with the dry ingredients.
6) Blend real well by hand using the rubber spatula.
7) Using the portion scoop fill the (sprayed) Bundt pan halfway.
8) Combine the nuts, cinnamon, sugars in a small bowl and sprinkle over the cake batter. Fill with the remaining cake batter.
9) Place the filled cake pan on a cookie sheet and place in a preheated 350 oven for about 45 to1 hour or until cake test done by pressing the top – it should spring back. Remove cake to a cooling rack and let it set about 15 minutes before attempting to unmold it.
10) Tap the cake a few times to release it from the pan and invert on a cake circle or plate. Place the coffee cake onto the serving platter and dust with confectioners sugar.